Friday, June 20, 2008

Sustaining Forces: Community, Family, Faith

What kept Ralph going through all of this? Well, he mentions in the April 18, 1943 letter that he had received the News and that he hoped they wouldn’t have to miss anymore letters. One of the first things he had asked of his parents when he wrote first from Camp Swift was a subscription to the local paper back home. From time to time in his letters he mentions noticing an article of particular attention. Some of his letters home would even be printed in the paper. He was always an avid reader of newspapers, and at this time, it was a lifeline for him, along with letters from family.

In his letters home to his parents, Ralph mentions letters from Aunt Adele, Luella, Blanche and others, in addition to those from Albert, Nancy, and Margie. His letters make mention of little Freddie (he wishes he could see the little tyke), the birth of Mark Wesley (how could they saddle a helpless little baby with such a moniker, he complained), and Ruthann. He worries over Luella’s move to Akron and Barney’s close call with the draft. Of course the cookies he mentions receiving from time to time sustained body and soul. Ralph was firmly connected to his family all the time he was gone.

The other main sustaining force in Ralph’s life was his faith. We’ve mentioned in earlier entries that he attended church in Austin when he could and found it to be one of the best things for him to do when he was in town. This impression is reinforced in the April 18th letter when he writes that Easter is approaching. After saying that he hasn’t been able to find an Easter card to send home and wishing that he could be home for Easter Sunday, he goes on to write about attending church at the camp chapel. “…Surely heard a fine sermon. The Chaplin’s name is S.A. Snedeker, and he’s Methodist. I think he’s from New Jersey. He’s a swell fellow, too. They are going to have communion Thursday evening and I am going if I possibly can. They are also going to have an outdoor sunrise service at 6:45 on Easter morning. I want to go to that, too, if I stay in camp, and can get awake in time. No one wakes us up on Sunday morning.”

He goes on to make an interesting observation. “I’m surprised at the small percentage of protestant boys who go to church. I haven’t been able to find anyone in our barracks who will go with me, so I go by myself. Most of the catholic boys go. I get more good out of going to church than anything else I can do here.”

“Well, that’s all I can think of this time, except that I surely would like to see all of you.”

1 comment:

Reb said...

We should resurrect the word "swell."